La Leona Eco Lodge
At a Glance
- Closest lodging option to Corcovado National Park
- Guided tours
Lie in a hammock and let the wind rock you to sleep as you hear the ocean waves crashing nearby. Listen to nature in surround-sound during your stay at La Leona Eco Lodge, a true paradise for nature lovers a few steps away from the La Leona Ranger Station in Corcovado National Park.read more close
While some stay here to enjoy the La Leona Ranger Station and its trails, others use it as a resting place to get up nice and early to begin their full day hike to the Sirena Ranger Station.
La Leona Eco Lodge, the closest eco lodge to the Corcovado National Park, has earned the respect of eco lovers worldwide with its back-to-the-basics approach. You can tell its owners have a deep love for all that is natural by their commitment to sustainable practices like recycling, reducing environmental impacts, social responsibilities like building nearby bridges and supporting local farmers.
There are 21 standalone tent-cabins, $89-$160, spread out on the 123-acre La Leona property – some tents are on flat lands and others are perched on top of a hill.
This eco lodge is a popular choice for those who want to go "glamping" (glamorous camping). Unless you're heading over to camp at the Sirena Ranger Station, this is about as primitive as you can get. You stay in a heavy-duty zipper tent with 1-3 beds. All of them have candles and matches for nighttime viewing, and private decks that give you the soothing sounds of the Pacific as you read a good book, meditate, or observe the random wildlife around you. And most tents have their own tropical garden bathrooms. A tent with a shared bathroom is $89 per night based on double occupancy and includes breakfast and dinner. Only $10 more gets you lunch as well.
The bare minimal approach is part of the charm of this place. You enjoy candlelight over electricity and human connection over WiFi.
La Leona Eco Lodge draws from locally grown ingredients and high quality fresh products to satisfy your appetite in the jungle.
- Rice and Beans (Gallo Pinto), scramble eggs, fresh fruit (Pineapple, banana, orange and watermelon), tortilla and local made cheese.
- Omelets, toast and fresh fruits (Pineapple, banana, orange, watermelon)
- Scrambled eggs, toast, with a side of fresh fruit
- Rice with chicken (Arroz con pollo), refried beans, chips (potatoes, cassava or plantain) and salad.
- Chicken & Pork fajitas, white rice, beans, chips (potatoes, cassava or plantain) and salad.
- Spaghetti and meat drenched in tomato sauce, with a side salad
- Grill fish (Fresh mahi mahi or tuna), white rice, vegetables, Salad and fresh baked bread.
- Curry Chicken, white rice, vegetables dalad and fresh baked bread.
- Pasta, salad and fresh baked garlic bread.
- Rice pudin (Arroz con Leche)
- Tres leches
- Cheese cake
- Banana crepes
- Pineapple upside down (Volcado de Piña)
Coffee, fruit juice, milk, hot tea and cold tea are generally available all day.
Breakfast: 6:30-7:30 a.m.
Lunch: 12:30-1:30 p.m.
Dinner: 7-8:30 p.m.
La Leona Eco Lodge operates its own tours with certified guides. The Corcovado National Park Tour is the biggest draw as that is the only reason anybody would go this deep into the rainforest in Costa Rica. With early morning birdwatching tours and after dark night tours, it seems like there is something happening all day, everyday.
Service and amenities
- Walk-up bar
- Boots and umbrellas for tours
- Private self-guided tours
- A help desk
The "La Leona Base Camp" is 1,000 yards before the Carate airstrip. You can leave your car here for $5 a night before you begin your 40-minute walk on the beach to La Leona Eco Lodge.
A complimentary horse-drawn luggage delivery service (under 30 pounds) from "La Leona Base Camp" in Carate to the eco lodge and vice versa leaves Carate at 8:30 a.m. and 4 p.m. and La Leona Eco-lodge at 7 a.m. and 2 p.m.
Best Hotel Deals in Costa Rica!
Get up to 30% off Hotels & Resorts with our exclusive pricing compared to other major sites ...