Puerto Jimenez Manglar Exploration
- Good for first-timers
- Very relax and tranquil
- See wildlife in the mangrove forest
- Location : Platanares River, Puerto Jimenez
- Total journey : 2.5 miles
- Hours : Depends on high tide
- Availability : All year
- What to bring : Bug repellent, sunscreen
- Equipment : helmet, floating devices, kayak and paddle provided; dry bag – if requested.
- Price : $45 per person
- Time length : 2.5 – 3.5 hours
- Minimum number of people : 2
Dazzling majestic images of the thick mangrove forest reflect on the calm warm waters of the Platanares River. Spell binding scenery, bountiful nature and the sun make this a peaceful paradise.read more close
You, your kayak, and the Golfo Dulce with the crisp air, the birds along the shoreline and the wildlife intertwine in the mangrove trees create an unforgettable one-on-one experience.
Very relaxed and tranquil, the river provides an easy drift allowing you the time to admire all the nature and animals around you. We saw herons, egrets, sandpipers, swallows, king fishers, and hawks. We also floated by a boa snake wrapped around one of the many trees.
The Platanares mangrove forest boasts the red, giant red, pineapple, black, and white mangrove trees – five of the six types of mangroves in the world.
You meet your guide at Puerto Jimenez Beach, receive your gear and a brief kayaking lesson. Then, head out to the Gulf, past the Platanares River estuary unto the main canal through narrow canals and drift back with the receding tide. Stop at Platanares River for a fruit snack and kayak back to Puerto Jimenez.
Departure & Return
- Departure point : Tour departs from all major hotels in Puerto Jimenez and Matapalo
- Departure time : Hotel pickup is between 20 and 50 minutes before tour start time depending on hotel location
- Return details : Tour returns to original departure point between three and four hours after tour start time