Waterfall Rappelling in Rancho Tropical
- Rappel down a 114-foot waterfall
- Horseback ride through pristine old and new growth forests
- Awesome views of the Pacific Ocean and Golfo Dulce
- Location : Rancho Tropical, 15km South of Puerto Jimenez
- Hours : 7 days a week, all year all year long, upon a 24-hour reservation
- What to bring : Water bottle, non-slippery shoes, long pants, bathing suit, camera, hat, sunblock, bug spray. (Helmets are provided)
- Start time : Customers can choose start time during the day
The shimmering golden sun illuminates the rocks, as you courageously rappel down and your adrenalin pumps relishing a striking midair view of swollen water succumbing to gravity and crashing on the sharp edged rocks below.read more close
One of the most inspirational experiences in the Osa Peninsula combines horseback riding and waterfall rappelling in an epic three hour tour through evolving scenery.
You ride a robust horse through wide-open pastures, creeks, and past old-growth and new growth forests. Hiking boots become your best friend on steep terrains as you climb up to the top of the 114-foot Ventana al Cielo Waterfall.
You are given helmets, gloves, and safety instructions. A guide rappels to the bottom of the waterfall first, while communicating with a walkie-talkie to another guide who remains at the top and feeds the line.
You cautiously step up to the slippery edge and get connected to cables and ropes. The most heart-stopping segment of the entire experience is the very beginning … It is that moment that you have to lean your weight all the way back and put your trust in the wisdom of your guides and the strength of the cables and trees. You slowly start descending, inch by inch, foot by foot, until you get comfortable enough to be more creatively flexible with your motions.
You climb down and swing from left to right like a spider monkey in the trees, trusting your feet to stabilize your motion. Powerful rushing water pounds against your body and awakens any part of you that has been lying dormant. Without any true sense of urgency, you enjoy your aerial view as you slowly make your way to the bottom, where you get unhooked. You put your hands on your hips and look up to the cascading force of nature with an exciting exhale of relief and a feeling of triumph in your chest.
Fun Fact: Ventana al Cielo (Window to Heaven) Waterfall, got its name because the sun's rays shine through the gorge for 15 minutes at 11 a.m. creating a magestical natural scene with the sky above.
Departure & Return
- Departure point : Tour departs from all major hotels in Puerto Jimenez, Matapalo and Carate
- Departure time : Hotel pickup is between 40 and 60 minutes before tour start time depending on hotel location.
- Return details : Tour returns to original departure point between three and four hours after tour start time