La Choza Del Manglar
At a Glance
- Proximity to wildlife
- Near Puerto Jimenez Beach
- Wide range of prices
Wake up to the sounds of ooh-ooh-ahh-ahh at La Choza del Manglar!read more close
Not for the spoiled tourist, this is where you go to blur the lines between your hotel room and nature. La Choza del Manglar, is the only hotel within the Puerto Jimenez mangrove forest and is a good central hub to explore the town from. Many people still find themselves spending hours within the property itself photographing wildlife in the gardens and mangroves.
Monkeys full of personality travel through the mangrove trees everyday from 5-7 a.m. and once again on their way back from 4-5:30 p.m. But it doesn’t stop there! Scarlet macaws, parrots, white egrets, crabs, frogs, and even crocodiles nearby provide plenty of wildlife variety for the animal lover. Hey, you wanted Costa Rica? You got it! All of these without breaking your bank!
An opportunity for the middle class to have a lodge experience for a lower price, La Choza Del Manglar, located a 328 feet west of Puerto Jimenez airstrip, offers 15 rooms ranging from $39-$250.
There are several rooms inside each of the six separated building structures, with most having air conditioning, wooden furniture, cotton linens, private baths and night stands.
Your lodging options include:
- The Monkey Suite - a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom, living space, sleeps 4 people, $159
- The Toucan Suite – A double bed, $79 for 1 person and $89 for 2
- The Kinkajou Suite – A large king suite for $99
- The Artist Mangrove Hut—sleeps 3 in a double and single bed - got its name because of the murals that have been painted on both the inside and outside by a local artist. Overhead fans and a porch that back up to the mangrove, $59 for 1 person and $79 for 2 people
- The Family Mangrove Cabin - sleeps 4 in 2 bunk beds, overhead fans, screen windows, and a porch that back up to the mangrove, $59 for 1 person and $79 for 2 people
- Garden Cabins – classic double bed room, newer showers, air conditioning, and prime location near animals, $39 for 1 person, $49 for 2
Note: All rates valid for Dec. 15-April 15 and July 1st – Sep. 15.
Check in at 2 p.m. Check out at 11 a.m.
During your stay, you will enjoy a communal dining room and bar, where coffee, breakfast pastries, water, juiced, iced tea, and Imperial beer are all available. Have some tico food delivered straight to you from nearby restaurants. Choose from one of the four menus, throw in an extra $2 for the delivery, and you’ll be chomping away in no time.
Services and amenities
- Bike rentals
- Assistance with reservations for bird watching, mangrove kayak, sunset dolphin, canopy, tree climbing, waterfall rappelling, horseback riding, snorkeling, and nighttime walk tours
- Overnight camping trips on top of a mountain with ocean views. ($149 per person by horse or $99 by foot)