- Summary: Family-friendly destination; quiet cove with safe swimming; pristine white sand beach.
- Landscape: Beaches, Tropical Dry Forest
- Attractions: Chora Island, La Selva Wildlife Refuge , Wildlife
- Activities: Kayaking, Snorkeling, Swimming, Ultralight Airplane Flights
- Caters to: Budget Travelers, Couples/Honeymooners, Families, Surfers
- Quick Facts: 149 miles from San Jose; 13 miles south of Nosara ; Sea level ; Warm and sunny with temperate evenings ; 71 to 92°F
Imagine a tropical beach with white sands, brilliant blue waves, and a very tranquil ambiance. This is Playa Samara. What began as a favorite getaway for Costa Rican vacationers has since developed into one of the safest and most desirable vacation destinations in the country, visited by tourists from all over the globe.read more close
Situated around a half-moon cove, the small village can be walked from one end to the other in under 15 minutes. Most hotels, cafes, and shops are on the perimeter, with very little in the center. Incredible restaurants can be found on the road toward Nosara – Italians living here have brought their culinary talents to the table, treating guests to the most delectable pizza, pasta, and gnocchi outside of Italy. Five miles south of Samara sits the neighboring beach of Playa Carrillo, a normally deserted stretch of palm-fringed shore, with sands as white as sugar.
Isla Chora, a tiny island a mile offshore, is a must see for adventurers eager to make the two-hour kayak journey. Those who complete the often strenuous excursion are rewarded with a private pink sand beach, interesting caves, and some of the best snorkeling and scuba diving in the region. When the waters are calm, a variety of fish, rays, and sea turtles can be spotted among live coral reefs close to shore. The rest of the island is inaccessible, covered with cacti and entertaining lizards competing for picnickers’ discarded food.
Playa Samara is an ideal place for swimming, due to the large coral reef protecting its bay. The waves are a bit too tame for advanced surfers – but absolutely perfect for amateurs who want to get their feet wet. An impressive canopy tour, horseback riding, yoga, and private ultra light airplane flights are just a few of Samara’s other exciting activities.