- Summary: Upscale San Jose suburb; excellent base for day trips throughout the Central Valley.
- Landscape: City, Mountains
- Attractions: Gold Museum, Jade Museum, National Theater, Nightlife
- Activities: Golfing, Live Theater, Shopping
- Caters to: Couples/Honeymooners, Day Trippers, Families, Luxury Travelers
- Quick Facts: 4 miles west of San Jose; 16 miles from the international airport ; 3609 to 7546 feet above sea level ; Warm days and mild evenings ; 70 to 81 °F
Just ten minutes from downtown San Jose, Escazu is an upscale suburb boasting fabulous mountain views, a fresh climate and modern shopping plazas. It is considered one of the most affluent San Jose neighborhoods and is comprised of three communities: San Rafael de Escazu, Escazu Centro and San Antonio de Escazu. Sprawled across the Central Valley’s rolling hills, Escazu overlooks Heredia and San Jose and offers a peaceful alternative to the hustle and bustle of the capital city.read more close
Escazu is home to a large expatriate population and has malls, restaurants, hotels and other businesses where English is widely spoken. Visitors will find beautifully-maintained gated communities and a lavish country club along with a public 18-hole golf course. Multiplaza Escazu is one of the largest shopping malls in
For a bit of local flavor, central Escazu is dotted with traditional Costa Rican cafes (known as sodas), where typical meals are inexpensive, and Spanish is still the language of choice. The posh area around San Antonio de Escazu is mostly residential and attracts wealthy Costa Ricans and North American retirees.
Escazu is well-connected to all the main highways and is an excellent option for travelers based in the
A wide range of accommodations are available – from charming B&B’s to luxurious hotels with stunning panoramic views. Many will arrange day trips to volcanoes, hot springs, botanical gardens or San Jose museums. Top-notch hotels, modern amenities and gourmet restaurants make this San Jose suburb a true cosmopolitan destination.