Arenal Places to Stay
Whether staying in La Fortuna or out in the countryside, all of Arenal's hotels, lodges and resorts look toward the massive Arenal Volcano. Hotels outside La Fortuna tend to have better views, a wider range of prices and a greater variety of room styles while hotels in town exchange the serenity of the countryside for ease of access to La Fortuna's restaurants, bars and tour operators.
Outside La Fortuna
Cruise along the highway that wraps around the volcano and you'll find roughly 25 hotels ranging from quaint lodges to expansive luxury resorts; each with great volcano views.
- For about $60, you'll find simple, clean accommodations that include breakfast. These lodges, hotels and motel often have a pool, but little else.
- For about $120, you'll find bungalows with larger windows, patios and betters views of the volcano. These hotels have their own restaurants, multiple pools, often have spas and occasionally have their own hot springs.
- For $200+, you'll find luxury bungalows with an extensive list of amenities and great views from the rooms. These are the luxury hotels that have multiple pools, restaurants and often have their own hot springs.
You'll find the number one, hands down, best views of the volcano at the Springs Resort – named one of seven resorts with the most spectacular views in the world according to CNN – but at $465 a night for a standard room, you'll be pulling out your American Express black card to pay for it.
Inside La Fortuna
La Fortuna tends to have the most affordable hotel rates of anywhere in Arenal. There's still a pretty wide variety of hostels and hotels and all of them are close to La Fortuna's sodas, restaurants and bars. Staying in town is the best options for travelers without their own transportation as it's close to the bus station and the easiest place to book tours.
- For $14 to $20, you'll find hostels with dorms that usually sleep around 6 people and include A/C, hot water and cable TV. Most hostels have their own pools and sometimes include a living area.
- For $20+, you'll find hostels with private rooms that have basic amenities and usually include a private bathroom. Most hostels have their own pools and sometimes include a living area.
- For about $60, you'll find standard, clean and convenient hotel rooms with basic amenities.
Hotel Jireh, just a block west of the church, has a great location in the center of downtown La Fortuna. At $65, it's got affordable prices, two pools, an in-house tour company and it's across the street from La Fortuna's most popular bar – the Lava Lounge.