Wingnuts Canopy Tour
- Swoop across 3,000-feet of cables
- Snack on fruit and cookies 350-feet in the air
- Fly 300-feet above sea level over tropical dry forest
- Spot howler monkeys and wild birds
- Hours : 8 a.m., 9 a.m., 12 p.m., 1 p.m.
- Time length : 2 to 4 hours, depending on group size
- Price : $65 per adult; $50 per kid under 12
- Group size : 2 minimum, 10 maximum
- Minimum age : 3 years old
- Note : Transportation and snacks provided
You think you have all zip lines figured out? Reality check. Suddenly you're dangling 65-feet in the air off the side of a suspended wooden platform on the verge of a 20 mile per hour rappel. They warned you before you started the Wingnuts Canopy Tour that a surprise awaits at the end — but they didn't mention its gravity (literally).read more close
Shuttle to the tour headquarters in the hills above Samara to strap on a harness, helmet and gloves before riding in a truck to the top of the Wingnuts' tropical dry forest property. Walk across a 35-foot high suspension bridge to reach the first platform and get ready to fly. Along with local guides who helped build the 10 zip lines and slotted-wood platforms, maneuver through narrow 80-year-old Guanacaste, Tempisque, and rosewood treetop passageways replete with noisy howler monkeys and cheery long-tailed manakins.
The first 300-foot long cable seems to pass in the blink of an eye. Once you shake your nerves out of your system, you can focus more on the jungle and ocean panoramas. After the fourth cable, your guides treat you to fresh fruit and oatmeal cookies from a 350-foot high platform with a scenic view of Playa Samara's teal waters.
Each cable ride gets easier — so experiment going backwards, spinning and letting your hands free from the pulley and warm up for the surprise…
Head back to the Wingnuts headquarters to return your equipment, and ride back to your hotel.
Departure & Return
- Departure point : Tour departs from all major hotels in Samara and Playa Carrillo
- Departure time : Hotel pickup is between 20 and 50 minutes before tour start time depending on hotel location.
- Return details : Tour returns to original departure point between three and four hours after tour start time