- Hike along a river and see 5 cascading waterfalls
- Get up close with exotic species like monkeys, macaws, and jaguars
- Location : Vara Blanca, 7 miles from Poasito
- Hours : 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Time length : 4 hours
- Price : $96 per person (transportation from San Jose included)
Hidden in the rolling clouds of the cloud forest and the mist of the rain forest, five picturesque waterfalls cascade over the course of La Paz River trimmed with a one-third of a mile hiking trail along gorges and the bottom of a canyon.read more close
See the efforts happening on the northeastern slopes of Poas Volcano at the 40-acre La Paz Waterfall Wildlife Sanctuary, and meet the beautiful animals that have been rescued and now are able to live peaceful, healthy lives. The self-guided walking tour winds through a green house brimming with macaws, toucans, butterflies; to the wild cats and monkey enclosures; into the outdoor hummingbird gardens to the serpentarium and frog exhibits; to a century-old Costa Rican home until arriving to the entrance of the waterfall trail.
Hike the waterfall trail down the canyon on a concrete-filled steel beam trail along the rocks to fall in love with the 85-foot (26m) Templo Waterfall, hear the roar of the 120-foot (37m) magic of Magia Blanca Fall, feel the parallel worlds of two waterfalls with the 65-foot (20m.) tall Encantada Waterfall and the next-door smaller Escondida Fall - formed by the confluence of a stream - spilling 15 feet (5m) downstream and marvel at the top view of the famed 110-foot (34m) tall La Paz Waterfall.
Departure & Return
- Departure point : Tour departs from all major hotels in San Jose, Alajuela, and Heredia
- Departure time : Hotel pickup is between 20 and 50 minutes before tour start time depending on hotel location.
- Return details : Tour returns to original departure point between 2 p.m. and 3 p.m.