Sun Trails Canopy
- Navigate a mile of cables
- Hike to the famous Montezuma Waterfall
- Tire swing into refreshing pooled water
- Incredible panoramic coastline views
- Hours : 9 a.m., 1 p.m. and 3 p.m.
- Price : $52 per adult, $42 per child (ages 5-12)
- Time length : 2 hours
- Note : Bottled water provided, photo CDs for sale.
- Warning : No pregnant women permitted
- Location : .75 miles northwest of Amor de Mar Hotel in Montezuma Delicias de Cobano hill past Mariposario Montezuma Gardens B&B, right hand side
- Telephone : 2642-0808
- Weight limit : 220 lbs
In the Sun Trails Canopy Tour Montezuma, you'll double-up on breathtaking sights: soaring over a mile of cables laced amidst 13 platforms above tropical dry forest along the Pacific coastline and hiking to the cascading waters of the Montezuma waterfalls.read more close
Arrive at Sun Trails' headquarters with anticipation and get right to it. Let the tour guides fit you into your harness, helmet, gloves, and watch while they demonstrate the proper riding and braking techniques. Shake off the nerves in the first of nine total cables, riding straight without spinning or releasing the pulley gliding across the wire.
For the next few rides, make like a mot-mot and loosen up as you fly over the tops of Guanacaste and Tempisque trees to land on suspended metal platforms gripped against tree trunks. By the third or fourth cable, you'll get the 'hang' of it, and can start taking in the sights. On the fifth cable, zoom over the Montezuma River flowing from Cobano down to the Pacific Ocean to land on a hillside platform. There, take off your equipment and hike about five minutes to the tour's star attraction: the Montezuma waterfalls.
Spend the next 30 minutes cherishing the glorious landscape: splashing around the river, tire swinging across pooled water, jumping down the 45-foot cascade, or hiking an extra five minutes to the base of the sublime 100-foot waterfall. Even after a good rest, it's hard to leave the natural beauty, but you'll find motivation knowing the next few platforms offer incredible views of Playa Grande, Playa Tambor and Tortgua Island.
Cross a 98-foot long suspension bridge to reach platform 12 of 13. Brace yourself there, ready for maximum exhilaration and speed - you can go almost 40 miles per hour - across the last and longest 1,148-foot cable, alighting on a platform just a few steps down from the headquarters. Remove the equipment and watch pictures from the day cycle on a TV as you rehydrate with ice-cold water.
Wear swimsuit and closed-toe waterproof shoes
Bring a waterproof camera, towel and change of clothes.
Take the extra five-minute hike to the 100-foot waterfall
Sunscreen and bug repellent
Departure & Return
- Departure point : Tour departs from all major hotels in Malpais, Santa Teresa, Montezuma and Cabuya
- Departure time : Hotel pickup is between 20 and 50 minutes before tour start time depending on hotel location.
- Return details : Tour returns to original departure point between three and four hours after tour start time