Savegre River whitewater rafting
- Class II and III rapids
- Swim at a 40-foot waterfall
- Lunch included
- Location : 30-minute drive from Quepos
- Hours : 7:30 a.m.; 12:30 p.m.
- Telephone : 2777-4092
- Price : $95 per person (lunch included)
With a heart pumping to the cadence of the guide's instructions, you'll paddle through class II and III rapids past churning undulating pools, rolling waves and frothing whitewater along an eight-mile stretch of the Savegre River.read more close
A half-day tour will begin with a 45-minute ride from your hotel through Quepos and the sprawling African Palm farms outside of town. You'll stop at a local restaurant to change and place your orders for lunch before heading out to the river.
Savegre comes from the local native word for savage, a foreboding name that does justice to the fast-paced wild ride that encompasses the journey downriver. But before you jump in the raft, you'll get a rundown on safety and paddling instructions. Once on the river, you'll encounter series after series of rapids while taking in views of the surrounding pastures, teak farms and secondary rainforests.
The trip breaks at an expansive forty-foot waterfall. Guides prepare snacks and drinks while rafters enjoy a swim in the clear waters of the plunge pool and feel the raw power of the falls as thousands of gallons of water pour over your head.
After about an hour ride (although time depends on the river's speed), you'll reach the end of the trip where you'll meet the van and drive back to the restaurant for a typical Costa Rican lunch.
The river's height and speed can change throughout the year - depending on the rain, although the best time to visit is during the wet season (May-Nov.).
Departure & Return
- Departure point : Tour departs from all major hotels in Quepos and Manuel Antonio
- Departure time : Hotel pickup is between 20 and 50 minutes before tour start time depending on hotel location.
- Return details : Tour returns to original departure point between 2 p.m. and 3 p.m.