Hacienda Ario Horseback Ride
- Ride along the beach and into the second growth rainforest
- See awesome Pacific coastal views
- Explore Hacienda Ario community
- Time length : 2.5 hours
- Hours : 8 a.m. and 2:30 p.m.
- Price : $85
- Riding ability : All levels
- Note : Transportation to and from hotel provided
Loop through the Hacienda Ario in a horseback journey that's all about the views - vibrant green pastures, secluded beaches and seaside rolling hills - exciting your eyes as the cool-blue ocean calms them back down.read more close
Venture 25 minutes north toward Playa Manzanillo, privately chauffeured by a nature-passionate local guide sharing fun facts about Santa Teresa and Mal Pais. Arrive at the stables of the Hacienda Ario where a traditional Costa Rican Sabanero (a person who herds animals on ranches or savannahs) will help you mount one of their tamed Arabic/Criollo horses.
Ride the first half-mile in the intermittent shade of native trees including rain trees, bay cedars, west Indian elms, caraos, wild cashews, mangoes, Guanacaste's, spiny cedars, royal palms, plantains and bitter oranges. Pop out from the natural awning to find the acorn brown sands of Playa Ario.
Prance along the shoreline, where you'll ride up and over the hilltops to the tour's most extravagant view. Pause to admire wildlife and the crystal clear coastline with visibility as far as Coyote, Samara and Punta Islita to your north, and Manzanillo and Santa Teresa to the south.
Take a moment to breathe the fresh air and snap a bunch of pictures before exiting the hilltop toward the lowlands of the Hacienda Ario. Trudge gently to the crystal clear waters of the Ario River so your horses can have a drink before you make way toward the stables to finish the scenic loop. Dismount and let the Sabanero tie up your horse in the stables. Wave goodbye and hop in the car to go back to your hotel.
What to bring and wear
Wear long pants, close-toed shoes, and lightweight shirt
Departure & Return
- Departure point : Tour departs from all major hotels in Malpais, Santa Teresa, Montezuma and Cabuya
- Return details : Tour returns to original departure point between three and four hours after tour start time
- Departure time : Hotel pickup is between 20 and 50 minutes before tour start time depending on hotel location.