- See many nocturnal amphibians
- Gets your heart and adrenaline pumping
- Knowledgeable tour guide
- Location : Sierpe
- Hours : 4:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.
- Time length : 3-4 hours
- Price : $50 per person
- Groups : up to 8 people
- Bring : Camera, hiking shoes or waterproof shoes, bug spray, water, flashlight
Pack your adventurous side when you hike the rainforest after dark to see species of nocturnal reptiles, birds, butterflies, bugs, crabs, frogs and other amphibians.read more close
As the sun begins to set, you will cross the Sierpe River by boat and make your way up a dirt road for about 30 minutes to arrive at the trailhead.
It won’t take more than a few steps onto the trail before your tour guide is able to spot one of the 45 species of frogs that are native to Sierpe and the Osa Peninsula. Try your hand at “frogtography” and snap some up-close shots of the emerald glass frog, with its almost translucent green skin, or the bright red granular backed poison frog.
It will become dark as you venture deeper into the trail and walk along a creek, where you might spot birds holding still as they sleep perched on tree branches. Make sure to watch your step, you would hate to sink into a puddle of mud or a coral snake to sink its teeth into you.
Eventually, after about three miles of up and down terrain, the trail loops around back to the starting point and you will make your way back down the dirt road and back to civilization.
Departure & Return
- Departure point : Tour departs from all major hotels in Sierpe
- Departure time : Hotel pickup is between 20 and 30 minutes before tour start time depending on hotel location.
- Return details : Tour returns to original departure point between 9 p.m. and 10:00 p.m.