Doka Estate Coffee Farm
- Hours : 9 a.m., 11 a.m., 1:30 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. Mon-Fri.
- Note : Coffee-picking contest (Aug.-April)
Live a coffee lover's dream visiting the backyards of Doka Estate Coffee Farm – operating since 1908 - in the skirts of Poas Volcano and tasting award-winning Costa Rican coffee.read more close
Feel the peaceful vibes of this idyllic farm as birdsong echoes through the air and crops, and you approach the seedbed, where you will learn about the farm's history, the coffee bushes and their planting process. If the bushes' fruit is ripe, you can pick a few coffee berries before visiting the water mill.
Travel through time as you step in their processing plant powered by the oldest water mill of the country - designated as architectural heritage building by the government - and learn about washing and separating coffee beans by their quality; their peeling, fermentation and drying processes.
Get your senses started with the smell coming out of the roasting room and learn how important it is how coffee beans are roasted to deliver specific qualities on your cup of coffee. Sparkle your taste buds by sampling coffee from Doka Estate and shop for souvenirs and coffee to take home at Doka's store.
The tour's highlight is the coffee tasting. Doka Estate produces eight coffee blends – Peaberry Estate, French Roast, European Roast, Espresso Roast, House Blend, Breakfast Blend, Decaf, and Organic – that range from smooth to bold.
Departure & Return
- Departure point : Tour departs from all major hotels in San Jose, Alajuela, and Heredia
- Departure time : Hotel pickup is between 20 and 50 minutes before tour start time depending on hotel location.
- Return details : Tour returns to original departure point between 2 p.m. and 3 p.m.