Canopy Mal Pais del Pacifico
- Zip line Superman-style (head first, strapped on the back)
- Journey across nearly one mile of cables
- Laugh with the hilarious guides
- Dangle on a Tarzan swing
- Hours : 9 a.m., 11 a.m., 3 p.m.
- Time length : 2-3 hours depending on group size
- Location : Up the hill from Mal Pais main fishing port
- Price : $50 per person
The elation of the Canopy Mal Pais hardly matches the tranquility of the farms, forest and coastline landscape beneath its mile of steel cables. In this one-of-a-kind zip line journey, you'll giggle with local guides and fellow adventurers as you fly like Superman between 11 metal platforms connecting eight cables atop tropical dry forest.read more close
Prep for the super journey at the Canopy Mal Pais headquarters; step into a harness, buckle a helmet under your chin and pull on a pair of hefty gloves so they know you mean business. Round up the troops and practice one ride across a mock cable strung between two grounded platforms on a grassy lawn. Once you make it safely from one side to the next without spinning out of control, you're free to hop in the bed of a truck and ride to the Canopy Mal Pais hilltop.
Approach the first of eight cables with an open mind, but ride with a conservative body position — there's plenty of craziness to come. On the horizon, you'll see the aquamarine waters of the Pacific Ocean painted against the sands of Playa Hermosa, Mar Azul and Playa Carmen as you soar the first cable.
Prove you can ride fearlessly so the guides will strap your harness from the back and position you to fly Superman-style. Be careful not to show the guides you're enjoying it too much — or they'll challenge you to ride upside down and backwards with your limbs dangling on the next trip. Complete the longest 1,640-foot cable before arriving at a Tarzan swing where the guides treat you like a pendulum hanging over a creek. Glance down between spins to spot white nose coati, raccoons and wild birds.
Carry out the requests of the guides and cross a suspended bridge like a supermodel or macho-man on a catwalk. Finish the last cable close to the headquarters and walk your equipment back. As the rest of the group finishes up, check out pictures from the trip — daring to see how silly you looked on those cables.
Wha to bring
Closed-toed shoes, camera
Departure & Return
- Departure point : Tour departs from all major hotels in Malpais, Santa Teresa, Montezuma and Cabuya
- Departure time : Hotel pickup is between 20 and 50 minutes before tour start time depending on hotel location.
- Return details : Tour returns to original departure point between three and four hours after tour start time