Cabo Blanco Reserve Wildlife Observation
- Passionate local guide with wealth of knowledge of local flora and fauna
- Intimate hike through impressive forest regrowth and primary forest
- Picture opportunities at Lajas River
- Hours : 7 a.m. – 1 p.m., flexible timing
- Time length : 3 hours
- Price : $100 per person
- Note : Transportation to and from hotel, snacks and water provided
Soak up the grandeur of the world-renowned Cabo Blanco Absolute Natural Reserve, hiking in the mist of tall Guanacaste, fichus and spiny cedar trees, listening to its wild bird sounds and calls, and sighting wildlife. You will unveil your own innate respect for all natural resources – even those ones back home - that allowed this reserve to thrive.read more close
All along the journey, starting and ending at your hotel in Montezuma/Santa Teresa/Mal Pais, a local guide gives the insider's scoop about the local communities as he points out amazing wildlife you may not notice without his keen eye. He'll bring you through Montezuma, past the cobalt-blue coast, and stop at the Lajas River to take pictures of pink rosette spoonbills and common basilisks (Jesus Christ lizards) running across the water surface.
From the Cabo Blanco visitor's station in Cabuya, you'll take the 1.5-mile Danes trail, spotting tons of wildlife including howler and capuchin monkeys, pale-billed woodpeckers, gray headed tanagers, lineated sack bats, white nose coati and white tailed deer. You'll cross clear water creeks flowing through the tropical dry forest displaying its 60-year-old regrowth after many years as cattle farms. Also, you'll have the exclusive chance to see old-grown forest in its absolute natural condition.
Showing respect for Cabo Blanco's impressive forest regrowth goes beyond just admiring trees, plants, birds and mammals during the relaxed two-hour hike. When the trail ends, you'll replenish your energy with all-natural oatmeal cookies and drink water from compact-recyclable water bottles at a picnic table in front of a panoramic view of Playa Cabo Blanco and Cabuya Island.
Departure & Return
- Departure point : Tour departs from all major hotels in Malpais, Santa Teresa, Montezuma and Cabuya
- Departure time : Hotel pickup is between 20 and 50 minutes before tour start time depending on hotel location.
- Return details : Tour returns to original departure point between three and four hours after tour start time