- Location : 20 min north of Jaco
- Hours : 8:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. departures
- Time Length : 3 hours
- Price : $65 w/lunch; $55 w/fruit snack; transportation to tour start not included
The roar of the Bijagual waterfall berates the canyon walls and reverberates throughout the valley below. The sound grows and sinks behind the great stone walls of the mountain as you descend mossy, stone steps through the rainforest. From the viewpoint, you can see only a sliver of the 600-foot waterfall - one of the tallest in Costa Rica - where it spills over the side of the mountain plunging to the valley below.read more close
Tours lead guests on a two-hour adventure horseback riding and hiking to the waterfall, natural pools and mountain town of Bijagual for a traditional Costa-Rican style lunch. On the way you'll pass through the secondary forest (younger, thinner rainforest), red-clay dirt roads and meadows that cross through the backwoods and mountains 20 miles north of Jaco.
After a mile-long horseback ride you'll reach the trail's entrance to the waterfall where you'll dismount and continue the rest of the way on foot. It's another half-mile down to the viewpoint; a steep decline that offers some challenge when it's time to come back up.
The Tarcolitos River (little Tarcoles) feeds the waterfall and the natural pools that you'll visit after seeing the viewpoint. Each of the three natural pools is about six feet deep and makes a relaxing place for a swim to cool off after the hike.
Lunch is served in the small town of Bijagual; a beautiful mountain town untouched by tourism where everyone rides a dirt bike, ATV or SUV. You'll dine across from the school and the soccer field at Sofia, a traditional Costa Rican-style soda that serves up heartwarming plates of casado with pork chops, fried onions, beans, rice, squash, salad and fresh-squeezed fruit juice.
Departure & Return
- Departure point : Tour departs from all major hotels in Herradura, Jaco, Playa Hermosa Puntarenas
- Departure time : Hotel pickup is between 20 and 50 minutes before tour start time depending on hotel location.
- Return details : Tour returns to original departure point between three and four hours after tour start time