Beach jungle horseback trek
- A relaxing ride along the jungle and beach
- Local guide
- Hours : 8 a.m.; 2 p.m.
- Time length : 2 to 4 hours
- Price : 2 hour jungle trek $65 per person; 4-5 hour trek to Punta Uva with picnic and swimming with the horses $95 per person
- Location : Cocles, Puerto Viejo
Trot through the waves of Playa Grande on horse, water splashing as you ride into the horizon along a 25-mile stretch of beach before darting up Tuba Creek and into the jungle on a two-hour ride with Kindred Spirits Equine Retreats.read more close
Join Terry Newton and her five horses for a different kind of horseback riding experience. Newton specializes in natural horsemanship, otherwise known as horse whispering, training her horses through love and adoration to become partners, rather than pets.
You'll understand the difference from the moment you lay your eyes upon her fit, friendly horses like Shilo the Pervuian paso and brego the Iberian grey. Each horse has its own personality, but they all love to play in the water as you'll see when you ride on the beach along Playa Grande.
Fit for riders of every skill level, the Tuba Creek jungle beach tour departs from Newton's hotel, the Magellan Inn, and takes riders out to the beach to gallop along the coastline and into the waves. After a couple of miles you'll take a trail up Tuba Creek and into the jungle. This thin, winding trail leads through the lush foliage of secondary rainforest. Follow the trail over fallen logs, past blooming heliconia and ginger to a break in the canopy where the forest meets the beach. Ride back out onto Playa Grande and head back toward the hotel to complete the loop.
Other day trek tours
- Waterfall tour, $75 - A four-hour tour to a nearby waterfall with a stop for a picnic.
- Tuba Creek Extended Tour $85- Ride along the beach, up Tuba Creek and into the rainforest and the Estrella River where you'll stop for lunch then jump in a boat and row upriver for wildlife watching.
Departure & Return
- Departure point : Tour departs from all major hotels in Cahuita, Puerto Viejo Limon, Cocles, Punta Uva and Manzanillo
- Departure time : Hotel pickup is between 20 and 50 minutes before tour start time depending on hotel location.
- Return details : Tour returns to original departure point between three and four hours after tour start time