Ballena National Marine Park Whale Watching
- Whale and dolphin watching
- Snorkeling (depending on weather conditions)
- Time length : 3 hours
- Hours : 8:30 a.m.
- Price : $85 per person; transportation not included
- Location : Ballena National Marine Park
Humpback whales burst from the Pacific Ocean like gentle behemoths, their blow holes shooting jetsam some 20 feet in the air. Beside them smaller fins of newborn humpback whales tentatively peek out from the water for breath, a regular sight along the Ballena Aventura whale watching tour.read more close
Half-day tours leave from Uvita Beach at Ballena National Marine Park and cruise around the Humpback whales' birthing grounds searching for the world's largest mammals as well as spotted dolphins, sea turtles and pelagic birds like white ibis and the brown booby.
Tour boats travel along the coast and visit the rocky, Whale and Three Sisters' islands. If the weather is good, visitors snorkel among the underwater rocks off Whale Island, otherwise visitors will have a chance to take swim before enjoying a snack. Afterward the boat heads south to visit The Window, a large arch carved from igneous rock beside Ventanas Beach.
The best time to visit is July to November when humpbacks whales come up from the South Pacific to give birth, or from December to March when humpbacks from the North arrive for their birthing season.
Departure & Return
- Departure point : Tour departs near the town of Uvita. Transportation to departure point outside of the town of Uvita is provided with an additional fee
- Return details : Tour returns to original departure point between 12:01 p.m. and 12:30 p.m.
- Departure time : Free pick up in hotels in Uvita is 10 minutes before tour start time