Amigos del Rio (ADR Tour)
- Tours include breakfast and lunch
- Explore a pristine gorge in the middle of the rainforest
- Zip line, rappel and Tarzan Swing
- Location : 30 minutes from Manuel Antonio
- Hours : 8 a.m.
- Telephone : 8622-1595
- Price : $130 per person
ADR, Amigos del Rios, is a tour in a canyon above the Damitas River amidst 64 acres of primary rainforest outside Manuel Antonio. Merging canyoning and zip lining, ADR takes you on a unique adventure along 10 different activities rappelling, swinging and zip lining over gorges, through waterfalls and into the Damitas River.read more close
The 7-hour tour starts with a pick-up and breakfast at a hotel before driving out of Manuel Antonio through the palm farm to arrive at the ADR way station. At the way station, you'll transfer from a van to the back of a gigantic Unimog L1300, an old WWII truck that will take you into the depths of the rainforest. Hike the last quarter mile on a winding red clay trail while guides tell you a little more about the local rainforest flora to reach the base camp. Here, you'll gear up and learn to use your equipment.
Hiking on a narrow trail beside the Damitas River, you'll attach yourself to nearby safety cables to do each of these 10 activities:
- Tarzan swing: fly out 30 feet over the gorge and waterfall, twice.
- Small rappel: learn to rappel down a small, rugged face.
- Zip line to waterfall: ride a zip line into a waterfall, turn back and…
- Drop: release yourself to fall 10 feet into the plunge pool below
- Rock Climbing: ascend a water-worn rock face to get out of the pool.
- Big rappel: drop 130 feet on a big rappel against the face of the gorge.
- Zip line: sail over the river on a zip line.
- Zip line/rappel: rappel 20 feet and let go as you zip line over a waterfall to land safely on the far side of the plunge pool.
- Long zip line: Sail 800 feet across the river through the gorge passing over waterfalls and landing on platform anchored in a tree.
- Free rappel: rappel down from the tree to the gorge below.
Return to base camp for lunch and make your way back to civilization.
A few things to note:
- This tour doesn't allow cameras (but you can purchase their photos)
- This is an all-day tour
- The tour involves about a mile of hiking
- Bring good shoes and a bathing suit (expect to get wet)
Departure & Return
- Departure point : Tour departs from all major hotels in Quepos and Manuel Antonio
- Departure time : Hotel pickup is between 20 and 50 minutes before tour start time depending on hotel location.
- Return details : Tour returns to original departure point seven to eight hours after tour start time