At a Glance
- Peaceful environment
- Friendly owners and teachers
- Beach-view yoga studio
Where lush tropical rainforest merges into pristine ocean waves, you will find a vortex of serenity at the Blue Osa.read more close
This low-impact beachfront resort, catering to epic weeklong yoga retreats, is like a scene straight out of the imagination of your dreams. As soon as you enter through its ambiguous gates, it feels like you discovered a hidden world, far apart from the rocky dusty roads you used to arrive.
A short 30-second walk to the backend of the property, you find yourself on the six-mile long Playa Tamales, ideal for surfing, kayaking, swimming or enjoying the sights and sounds of the Golfo Dulce during a sunrise stroll. You often see dazzling rainbows that materialize temporarily out of thin air just for your personal enjoyment. With colors fading in and out, waves crashing and receding, and birds flying by, the Blue Osa helps you feel alive. Take a deep breath in and let the clean coastal air flood through your lungs. As you exhale, feel your muscles let go of the tension they’ve been holding on to. The concept of time begins dissipating from your consciousness as you ease into a different dimension of reality.
The staff truly creates an open and loving space where you feel like family. They gather every evening before dinner to share a few words with all the guests and introduce the ingredients of the meals. Gratitude is cultivated as a daily practice and you can feel it in the air. It is safe to say there has never been one day that has passed at the Blue Osa without many heart-felt smiles being shared.
The Blue Osa also shines in the world of ecotourism by practicing organic gardening, recycling, water conservation, and education. Friendly resort owners, Aaron and Adam designed the buildings themselves and had them built with natural materials.
Five buildings facilitate a total of 12 numbered rooms with a mix of private and shared bathrooms, running $269-$299 per night. Each room’s entrance is infused with the energy of spiritual linguistics using descriptive words such as: Freedom, Peace, Breath, Harmony, Bliss, Love, Shanti, Om, Karma, Balance, Namaste, and Faith.
All rooms have a shower, rustic furnishings, bed fans, reading lights, large-screened windows, fresh bed linens, and some even offer mosquito nets.
At any given time, a maximum of 30 guests may permeate the 88,200 square foot resort. With temperatures averaging 75-85 degrees year round, who needs air conditioning when you have an ocean breeze and ceiling fans?
Services and amenities
- Massage, Reiki attunements, yoga teacher training
- A gorgeous second story yoga studio gives you views of the ocean and the top of the trees and creates a peaceful environment of serenity.
- 70-foot lap pool with meditation rooms nearby
- Sun deck
- Yoga classes from 8-9 a.m. and 4–5 p.m.
- Private yoga instruction -$99 for 1 person, $110 for 2 people, and $130 for 3 people
- Matapalo hikes, kayak tours, personal training on the beach
- Laundry for $25 per load
- Airport shuttles
- Check in: 2 p.m. and Check out: 10 a.m.
Gather around a community style table for open and heart felt conversation or sit at one of the silent tables to bask in auditory unobtrusiveness. Locally sourced red snapper and mahi-mahi are freshly caught by neighboring fishermen. Pineapple is grown on the property and eggs are from the farmers right down the road. The bread is homemade and the herbs are gathered from a greenhouse. Their genuine approach to farm-to-table dining is projected to increase with an expansion of their garden and livestock.
Daytime meals are primarily vegetarian with evening meals including meat or fish. It is served buffet style without the all you can eat option.
The typical schedule consists of four daily meals:
Fruits and coffee: 6:30-7:30 a.m.
Brunch: 10-11 a.m.
Snacks: 2-3 p.m.
Dinner: 6:30-7:30 p.m.
The instructor who leads the retreat can also choose the traditional three large meal schedule if desired.
Sample Daily Menu
GF: Gluten Free
* : Our personal favorite
- Morning fruit and granola with coffee and tea (GF, V)
- Homemade whole wheat bread
- Green salad with cucumbers, tomato & avocado (*)
- with herb vinaigrette (GF, V)
- Mango,tomato and cilantro ceviche (GF, V)
- Frittata with potatoes, onions and fresh herbs (GF, V)
- Red beans with tomato and cilantro (GF, V)
- Home-baked tortilla chips with fresh lettuce, pico de gallo, beans and sour cream (V)
- Fruit salad with mint (GF, V)
- Fresh papaya juice (varies upon various fruit availability)
- Green salad with tomatoes, cabbage, red onion with zesty dressing (GF, V)
- Baked mahi-mahi tagine seasoned with coriander, cumin over spinach, tomatoes, and lemon (GF, *)
- Fresh carrot salad with raisins, cilantro and mint (GF, V)
- Lemon and parsley couscous with caramelized onions (V)
- Coconut lentils (GF, V)
- Blue Osa’s star fruit crumble with fresh vanilla whip cream
- Wake up early and explore the property. Silence is practiced until 7:30 a.m. and it is a unique experience to be around other human beings without having to say or hear a word.
- Walk around and catch glimpses of monkeys, sloths, scarlet macaws, frogs, butterflies, insects, snakes, geckos, and coatis.
- Speaking of tips, they’re not included in your base price and a Costa Rican tax of 13% is added to your total cost.
- The two friendliest dogs you will ever meet have become legendary folklore at the Blue Osa. If they see you walking towards the beach, they are very likely to follow you and walk you back.
- Bring a flashlight or headlamp, notebook and a pen, bathing suit, and sunscreen or bug spray (both are available for sale on premise).