Last updated: Nov 22, 2016
Cooking Time: 30 min Yield: 12 servings Level: Intermediate
1 cup corn flour
1 cup dough flour or Maseca
1 cup water
- Combine dough flour, corn flour, and salt in a mixing bowl. Stir in water gradually until smooth. Dough must be slightly sticky and smooth.
- Test dough consistency by flattening a small ball between your hands. If dough edges crack, add more water. Test until edges are completely smooth.
- Split dough into small pieces. Roll each piece into a ball on a plate and cover with a damp kitchen towel.
- Manually: Press a ball of dough between 2 sheets plastic wrap shaping into a 1/4 inch thick circle.
- With a Tortilla Press: Place a ball dough in the tortilla press covered with plastic wrap. Lower lever so that dough extends slightly beyond the edges. Peel off the plastic.
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium high. Lay tortillas in the pan, pressing the top gently with a fork to make it puff and turning once until light brown, about 30-45 seconds on each side. Transfer tortillas to a kitchen towel and let cool briefly. Stack tortillas, wrapped in a towel to preserve moisture and warmth.