Suspiros - Meringues
Last updated: Jan 14, 2014
Cooking Time: 1 hour Yield: 12 servings Level: Intermediate
3 egg whites
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
1/4 cup cream of tartar
- Preheat oven at 225° F (107° C.)
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Add vinegar and cream of tartar. Continue beating until smooth. Sprinkle sugar gradually - one tablespoon at a time - and continue beating for 3 more minutes.
- Fill pastry bag fitted with a star-shaped tip. Pipe meringues into medium size “kiss candy” shape, leaving a distance of 2 inches apart from each meringue on a butter-greased cookie sheet.
- Bake for one hour or until light brown. Turn oven off, and let meringues dry in oven 2 to 3 hours more without opening oven door.
- Remove meringues from cookie sheet with a spatula. Store in an airtight container.