Picadillo de Papaya Verde - Minced Green Papaya
Cooking Time: 45 min Yield: 12 servings Level: Intermediate
1 teaspoon annatto
1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Green papayas, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1/2 cup onions, chopped
1 lb potatoes
1 lb lean beef
8 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoon oil
- Heat lean beef in a saucepan over medium heat until tender.
- Transfer beef to a cutting board and cut in thin strips. Store liquid in a bowl.
- Heat potatoes in a separate saucepan over medium high. Stir occasionally until golden brown.
- Add pepper, cumin, oregano salt, annatto, onions, and green bell pepper. Simmer, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes. Add beef and papaya. Continue to simmer for another 2 minutes.
- Place mix into an oven-safe glass dish. Add stored beef liquid. Bake at 350° F (176.7° C) for 30 minutes. Serve with soft tortillas.